As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The links below may be affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This diet is better known as the macro diet and is gaining popularity all of the time due to its major results.
Instead of counting calories as most diets consist of, with the Macro Diet, you’re counting macro nutrients.
This means you’re tracking fats, carbs and proteins.
The diet focuses on the nutritional factor rather than the amount of food going into your mouth, which in my eyes, is very appealing.
If you’re looking for serious results and also smarter diet choices, then the Macro diet is the one for you.
Related: THE RAW FOOD DIET
What is the Macro Diet?
This diet focuses on fats, proteins and carbohydrates which are the three types of nutrients that fuel your body and are called macro nutrients.
Foods usually contain at least 2-3 macro nutrients but are labeled as the one based on which category is most present in the food.
Healthy Macro Diet food choices
It can be the hardest part of the new diet to find the right food and meal options for you.
You need to try and figure out which foods are good for you and which ones you can eat over and over again without it having any impact.
I have put together a healthy macro diet for you to have the options.
Related: Understanding Carbs
Lentils, chicken, tofu, egg whites, nuts, turkey, protein powders, lean red meat, shellfish, salmon, cod, mackerel and herring.
Fruits (berries, apples, bananas, pineapple), whole grains, grains (oats, quinoa, brown rice), leafy greens, peas, broccoli, potatoes, asparagus, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, oatmeal, squash, cucumbers, green beans, onions and some dairy products.
Fatty fishes (sardines and salmon), avocado, meats, egg yolks, butter, nut butters, macadamia nuts, full-fat milk, brazil nuts, full-fat yogurts, almonds, full-fat cheeses, olive oil, flaxseeds, coconut oil and chia seeds.
Macro Diet Meal Planning Tips
These tips will make everything about this diet much easier, especially with meal planning.
• Add some flavor: If you eat the same meals over and over again, regardless of if they’re healthy, it can get boring. Incorporating some fresh herbs and spices will keep your interested by mixing it up a bit.
Related: THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET
• Shop and prep on the weekends: Be prepared and plan exactly what you’ll need so you can get your shopping done. You’ll have a happy Monday knowing that everything is ready.
• Use a macro diet app: Phone apps are amazing and you can get anything you want or need by using them. Let an app on your phone be your macro counting friend.
• Buy in bulk: You’ll need to find some of your favorite foods as you go along, so buying in bulk is your best bet because as soon as you find what you love, you’ll want it all of the time, plus it will help you save money.
• Get rid of temptations: You should firstly go through your kitchen and dump anything that you could end up snacking on in the middle of the night. It could be desserts, chips, candy or chocolate. They won’t help you towards your goals.